A monument to the Hero of the Soviet Union Vasily Filippovich Margelov was opened in Dubossary at the city's Memorial of Glory the Day of the Airborne Troops. The commemorative stele was installed on the initiative of veterans-paratroopers with support of the Minister of the Interior, veteran of the Airborne Forces Ruslan Mova. Vitaly Kalin, a member of the Supreme Council, member of the Parliamentary Committee on Legislation, Law Enforcement, Defense, Security, Peacekeeping, Protection of Citizens' Rights and Freedoms took part in the opening ceremony of the monument.
Veterans of the landing forces from all over the republic arrived in a friendly convoy for the holiday in Dubossary. Blue berets and vests are in the color of the sky, flying flags of the Airborne Forces. They can be seen from afar. They are the pride and strength of the army. Minister of the Interior Ruslan Mova congratulated the paratroopers on behalf of the head of state.
The history of the airborne troops began August 2, 1930, when during the exercises in the Moscow Military District near Voronezh, 12 soldiers landed from a military transport aircraft. Special development this type of troops received after the Great Patriotic War under the command of General Vasily Margelov. He began his service as a cadet. And during the war, as an officer, he commanded the 49th Guards Rifle Division of the 28th Army of the 3rd Ukrainian Front. He led the operations of the division during the crossing of the Dnieper and the liberation of Kherson, for which in March 1944 he was awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union. Under his command, the 49th Guards Rifle Division participated in the liberation of Soviet Moldova and South-Eastern Europe.
They laid flowers to the new memorial place in honor of the airborne troops.