The Supreme Council
of the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic

Official Website

In Memory of the Great Russian Army Feats

29.08.2017

The regimental feast of the 55th Podolsky Infantry Regiment was celebrated in Bendery. Large-scale events began at the military-historical memorial complex. The head of state Vadim Krasnoselsky, the first president of Pridnestrovie Igor Smirnov, the Chairman of the Supreme Council Alexander Shcherba, the head of the Government Alexander Martynov, parliamentarians, heads of ministries and departments took part in the celebrations.

It was noted during the solemn part: the soldiers of the 55th Podolsky Infantry Regiment participated in the Patriotic War 1812, and then in the military campaign for the defense of Sevastopol in 1854-1855. The soldiers of this regiment distinguished themselves in the Russo-Turkish, Russian-Japanese and First World Wars. This year, the 55th Podolsky Infantry Regiment is 219, more than half of which, from 1888 to 1917, the military unit was deployed in the territory of the Bendery Fortress.

Ceremonial events began on the occasion of the regimental feast from the prayer service, which clergymen of the Tiraspol-Dubossary diocese held in the chapel of the Savior Not Made by Hands - the patron of the 55th Podolsky Infantry Regiment. Speakers noted: the memory of the great soldiers, defenders today stores a granite monument, on top of which the eagle is the oldest monument in Bendery. It was built on the means of soldiers and officers of the 55th Podolsky Infantry Regiment in 1912 in honor of the century of victory in the Patriotic War.

Deputy Andrei Safonov called the revival of the Great Russian traditions the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the military unit marked for our region.

At the end of the solemn part of the event, representatives of state and local authorities, public figures, residents of Bendery laid flowers at the foot of the Orthodox Cross. Then the procession crossed, the final point of which was Bendery Fortress. There, the chapel of the Holy Royal Martyrs was laid.